Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Personal Learning Network

Relationships in the classroom

click to view 52 teacher, 52 lesson: week 36



For my personal learning network I wanted to gather more information about what is really the most important thing about being a teacher. I wanted to find out what is the true essence of being an educator, and I found the answer to my question in a blog by Lindsey Croston, a middle school math teacher from Florida, that wrote a blog called 52 teachers, 52 lessons: week 36. This blog gave me a lot of insight into teaching and the basic and simple lesson that I must always keep in mind when teaching.
Crosten had a simple answer to my question, what is teaching all about. Her answer was that teaching was all about relationships, and that it all boils down to the importance of students, co-workers, and patent's that you form bonds with. I was particularly intrigued with what she said in one part of her blog that she stated,"As we build positive relationships with those around us – professionally and personally, we start to see change come about. It may be minuscule, but suddenly knowing that the student who’s constantly falling asleep in class is doing so because he was working late to help his mom pay the rent, or the co-worker who’s a bit snappy on Mondays because her weekend really sucked and she’s stressed because her kids just aren’t getting it – for the 3rd or 4th week in a row helps us to respond appropriately – to offer the words of encouragement that help make the world a better place. Then, hopefully because of the relationships we’ve built, when it’s our turn to have a crappy day, someone will notice and lift us up." These few sentences, in my opinion, were so important and so true. As a future teacher I need to remember relationships with those around me will help me to become a better teacher. I need to know my students and co workers background and lives so I can be a teacher that understands and knows how to treat a situation. By building true solid relationships with students, patent's, and co workers I am letting them know that as a teacher and friend I care about their best interests which speaks volumes in my opinion. No matter how busy I become in life I must always keep in mind that people come first, and the relationships I form in and outside of the classroom is what truely matters.
I learned a very vital lesson through Lindsey Crosten's blog, and intend to use these lessons in my own future classroom. I left comments on her blog post, and sent her emails to try and contact her and get some more feedback, but unfortunately did not get a response. Although, I could not contact the author of this blog I was able to gain insight from her post, and enjoyed it very much.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great class this semester. You will be a good teacher!! Best Wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I'm very flattered, and incredibly sorry that you couldn't get back to me! I never got the comments or the emails, but I am honored that my post meant so much to you. I wish you all the best in your teaching pursuits!

    ReplyDelete