Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Vision of Students Today

.watch " A Vision of Students Today


Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today was a very intresting video, and it was very similar to my college expierence. This video basically gives a very good definition of what students in college today are like. One of the first things about this video that I can relate to is the large class sizes. It states that students average class size is 115 students, and only 18% of their teachers know their name. I went to a large collge in Mississippi for 3 years and this is mostly what I expierenced, very large classes and a non exsistent relationship with teachers. This video also mentioned paying hundreds of dollars for text books that they never open, which I also have had this happen to me. Alot of times in my college career I have never even opendend my book in the classroom. Next, this video stated that the average student would read 8 books, 2300 web pages, and 1281 facebook pages which in my opinion is very acurate. Alot of times students will do more web surging than homework or reading. This fact really applies to me, the internet is a very big distraction for me. Other distractions mentioned on the video applies to me also like t.v., being online, and talking on my cellphone.

One of the main points of this video that really hit home with me was being a multi-tasker. After working, going to class, studying, and factoring in distractions it adds up to 26 and a half hours a day doing these things. I have thought to myself countless times durring my college career there are just not enough hours in a day. My college expeirence at most moments have been sheer chaos trying to keep up with everything I have to do. Although, technology, has been mentioned to be the key to some of these problems, in my opinion, technolgy sometimes causes problems in the classroom. Students are facebooking durring class, and alot of them bring their labtops just so they can do other things durring class, which I have been guilty of doing on many occasions. The only other thing that I differ from in this video is the average amount of sleep I get per night which is not 7 hrs. Most of the time I average 5 to 6 hours at best. Overall I think this was a very accurate video describing a students college expeirence, and I enjoyed watching it

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I have a problem getting on the internet to perform a certain task and get caught in all the distractions, also. It is easy to do.

    ReplyDelete